In order to enable the support for Windows Server 2008 R2, to enable new management scenarios, to address user concerns, System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2 provides the feature.
The new feature has come out with the following:
• Live Migration Management of the Live Migration feature is for Hyper-V R2 for both planned and unplanned downtime scenarios.
• Multiple Virtual Machines per LUN is able to utilize the Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) feature of Windows Server 2008 R2, VMM R2 that is able to allow multiple virtual machines in order to reside on the same CSV-enabled logical unit number (LUN). Moreover, you can migrate a virtual machine independently from the others residing on the same LUN.
• SAN Migration In And Out Of Clusters with VMM R2, it is easy to migrate a virtual machine from one cluster to another. In addition, you can do it from a stand-alone host into a cluster or vice versa.
• You can get support for TCP/IP chimney and Virtual Machine Queue, reusing VMware for groups from Networking Enhancements in Hyper-VR2. Moreover, it is able to give you the ability to enable or disable MAC spoofing on a per virtual machine basis.
• Maintenance Mode VMM R2 is able to support the concept of the host maintenance mode. The Virtual Machines will be live migrated off the server to another host, if a managed host is put into maintenance mode and host is able to support the live migration. At the same time, if the host doesn’t support live migration, then the Virtual Machine can be placed in saved state.
• At last, Disjoint Domains VMM 2008 R2 is able to create custom SPN for DNS name automatically whenever the Host has a different fully qualified domain name in DNS and Active Directory.